Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
New York Times Digital Edition
Murphy Library has campus-wide access to the New York Times Digital Edition.
Known as an "academic pass" all students, faculty, and staff have complete access to all the content of the digital New York Times. The pass includes news, archives, special features, special educational content, and much more. Not included are e-reader editions, Times Premier content or digital versions of The New York Times Crossword
Each user must activate their pass by creating a unique account with the New York Times using their UWL email account.
Other Access to New York Times
ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The New York Times with Index This link opens in a new window
Online, full-image, and searchable content of The New York Times from September 18, 1851 to the present with a 4-year embargo. Includes articles, advertisements, and political cartoons. Search options include keyword, article type, by date, author, or browse by issue.
Activate Your Pass
What is an academic pass?
- Access to the NYT Digital Edition via website or mobile app
- Available to all UWL students, faculty, and staff
- Available on and off campus
How do you register?
- Go to NYTimes.com/pass
- Register with your UWL email account
- Create a new password, but do not use your UWL password.
- Check your UWL email for an activation link sent by the New York Times (If you do not receive an email from the NYT within a few minutes, check your spam folder).
How long does the pass last?
- The pass is good for one year
- To renew, you must re-register before a year has gone by since your initial registration
- When you first register, NYT displays the date that your pass will expire and offers to add a reminder to your calendar.
The New York Times has apps for:
- iPhone & iPod
- Kindle Fire
- Windows 8
- Windows Phone
Download apps at the New York Times Mobile apps site. After installing the app, log in with your UWL email and the password you used when you first activated your NYT account.
Reactivating Your Pass
Academic passes must be reactivated (renewed) every year.
How do you reactivate?
- Go to https://nytimes.com/passes and use the "Log in here" link (NOT the "Create Account" link) using your UWL email and the password you used when you created your account.
- Check your UWL email for a confirmation email from the New York Times (check Junk and Clutter folders if necessary).
- Click the link in the email, and you are set for another year.
How do you discover when your academic pass will expire?
- Just as in the first step above, go to https://nytimes.com/passes and use the "Log in here" link (NOT the "Create Account" link) using your UWL email and the password you used when you created your account.
- The renewal date should be displayed at the top of the page
Help is Available - Ask a Librarian