Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to the Murphy Library Military Science Research Guide.
Included in this guide are open access resources, relevant news feeds, databases, and other resources for your Military Science projects and papers. In addition to this guide, the Murphy Library is also able to offer research assistance to you. Please be in touch with us if you have research needs that are not covered in this guide. We are happy to help.
U.S. Department of Defense News Feed
Military Science Highlights of the Murphy Library Government Documents (Gov Docs) Collection
How to find something in Murphy Library Government Documents
The Murphy Library is a Federal Depository, as such it has an extensive Government Documents collection--we call it "Gov Docs" for short. Within our Gov Docs, you will find Military map collections, Military articles, current Military-related periodicals, and other government publications.
To access this collection, just create a search of our catalog, based upon the information you are seeking. For instance, if you are looking for a map of Afghanistan you could follow these steps:
- In the catalog box on Murphy Library's main page, find the Books, Articles, and More box. Just under that box, select Library Catalog by clicking on the red text. You'll be directed to our catalog page. To get there a little quicker, feel free to use this catalog link: https://wisconsin-uwlax.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/search?vid=01UWI_LC:LAX&search_scope=MyInstitution
- Where it says Search Anything on our catalog page, type "Afghanistan map" in the box.These are your initial search terms.
- Next to the Search Anything box, use the drop down menu to select UW La Crosse Books & Media. Then, click on the magnifying glass icon to begin your search.
- At this point, a list of results will populate your screen. You can use the boxes on the left side of the page to limit your results. From the category Show Only, select Available at La Crosse. Then from the category Location, select Government Documents.
- Click the green Apply Filters button for Afghanistan maps that are located in our Gov Docs Section.
- If you don't find what you're looking for, or to start a new search of our Gov Docs collection, just head back to the catalog and enter new search terms--with the same limiters you used previously.
- If you still don't find what you're looking for, ask a librarian. We would love to help!
Quick Links for Research Assistance at Murphy Library