Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Special Collecctions/Area Research Center General Info
Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. & Tuesday evenings 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Examples of physical materials in our holdings, several of which have been digitized and accessible in the Murphy Library Digital Collections:
- La Crosse newspapers on microfilm, 1853 to present
- City directories 1866-present
- University history material (including yearbooks, Racquet student newspapers, committee minutes, publications, reports, course catalogs, directories, handbooks)
- Pamphlets, leaflets, booklets, reports, vertical/clipping files, maps, etc., on local topics
- Manuscript collections (primary source materials from individuals, businesses, churches, and local groups/organizations)
- County level government records (birth, marriage, death, tax rolls, naturalizations, probate, court records)
- UWL Oral History Program interviews document the 1890s to today
*Note that some physical materials have not been cataloged. This includes photographs and most UWL vertical files. They will not appear in online search results. Ask a librarian for help finding these items.